Friday, May 27, 2011

a typewriter for Henry

I am always looking for ways to encourage creative expression (and discourage the use of electronics!). A while back, I saw a post on SouleMama about her kids' typewriters and recently decided it was time to get one for Henry. Before I started looking at thrift stores, I called my mom to see if they had one. Turns out they did - and it's ours! Some of you may remember this typewriter...it was sitting on the back of the toilet in our house on Wylie Street in Philadelphia. We fancied it as a humorous kind of "guest book" and loved the little comments and poems people left us while they used our WC. When we moved, I guess we gave it to my parents for safekeeping and I completely forgot about it. Imagine my delight when I discovered I already had a typewriter!

When I presented it to Henry, he was really excited. When we headed to SOVA that day, he asked if he could take it with him (I think he said something about the way people work on their laptops at SOVA). Fortunately, it's really compact, has a good case, and fits right in the bottom of the stroller!



2 comments:

  1. Great typewriter! So nice and small! Will's buddy has a larger one that he loves to play with. I've been keeping my eye out at the thrift stores ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typewriters (especially manual ones in good working order) are so hard to find! That's why I was so excited when I found out I already had one.

    ReplyDelete