Thursday, May 19, 2011

corners of my home : the armoire

I got this armoire off Craigslist after reading in The Creative Family that it's a good idea to have all your arts and crafts supplies organized and close at hand when creativity strikes. A couple of weeks ago, I said to Henry, "Why don't you make something?" He replied, "But Mommy, I can't reach any of my stuff! It's too high." I opened the doors of the armoire, looked inside, and said, "You're right. I'll fix this tonight!"

Before (you can see that Henry's things were on the middle upper shelf, indeed to high for him to reach):
After:
On the top shelf are all of our tablecloths, napkins, and placemats (oh, and the doggie treats because I learned the hard way what happens when I leave them on the bottom shelf and someone forgets to close the doors...)
The next shelf down houses "my" craft supplies and the things we work on together, like the wool felt and such.
The main, most accessible shelf holds all of Henry's art supplies. He can see and access everything easily: paper, play-doh, glue, scissors, markers, crayons, coloring pencils, paint, paintbrushes, watercolors, notepad, stamps, etc.
The bottom part of the armoire holds all of our games, and because I can't think of a better place for it, all the pet food, brushes, and medicine.
When I showed Henry what I had done the next day (this, like almost all of my projects, was accomplished between the hours of about 10 pm - midnight), he said, "Now I can reach everything! Thanks Mommy!" I truly feel he has spent more time working on creative projects since I did this since he can get to everything himself so easily. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment