Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Prairie Home Companion: year twelve

Last night, we sat on the lawn for the live radio broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor for the 12th year in a row. Two of those years we attended the show at Ravinia while we were living in Chicago, but the rest have been here at Wolftrap. Sitting on the lawn with my beloved, a delicious picnic, and from time to time, a babe in arms, this is easily one of my favorite events of the entire year.
Chocolate-covered strawberries are an essential part of the picnic and an annual tradition.
Before the show goes live at 6 pm, Garrison Keillor performs for 15 minutes. He always walks up to the lawn and greets everyone while singing.
I had high hopes for the amount of knitting I would accomplish sitting on the grass for 4 hours...
but I forgot that babies who are out in the sun way past their bedimes need a little extra TLC.
Having him with us turned out to be a great opportunity to give him tons of snuggles and kisses we usually don't have time for because we're so busy with his big brothers. He was perfectly delightful and everyone around us loved having him there.
He eventually got tired and fell asleep while nursing...
and woke up five minutes later, not wanting to miss out on all the excitement.
He finally fell asleep for real at 7:55, five minutes before the show ended, but this allowed us to linger for a while longer and enjoy the post-broadcast performance.
As much as I enjoyed having him with us last night, I am really looking forward to leaving all the babes at home next year! Maybe then I can get more than 3 rows of knitting done, or cozy up to my man instead of entertaining a baby the whole time...

1 comment:

  1. I listened from Chicago as I made dinner and thought of you guys! Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete