Tuesday, April 19, 2011

gardening at SOVA

After we finished all the gardening we could possibly do in our front and back yards, Henry and I sat down to admire a job well done...and watch the plants grow. As much fun as this was, it got a little boring. What we enjoyed most was picking out the plants & digging in the dirt...we needed more land to work with! I mulled this over for a little while and had an idea. I asked the owner of our local coffee shop (a.k.a. our second living room), SOVA, if he was interested in some free landscaping services. He said yes! So, last Sunday Dan agreed to stay with the babies while Henry and I set out to transform SOVA's back patio.

First we went to Frager's to get all the supplies. Henry picked out the flowers and pulled the wagon around with much enthusiasm.


Here is the space before:




After a little while, Dan brought the babies over (Felix was hungry by this point and needed a little Mama time!). While I nursed, the big boys enjoyed kicking the ball around in the alley.

These "H"s made their debut two years ago at the H Street Festival. It was fun potting plants in them!

And here is the space after. This is the view from the stairs at the entrance to the patio. I love how the first thing you see is the hanging plant.










Spending a lot of time at SOVA has a lot of benefits. We've become friends with the people next door at the Biergarten Haus. When I found out they are planting a garden, building a greenhouse, and keeping bees two blocks away, I asked them if the boys and I could help with that too, and they said we could. I am so excited!

1 comment: