Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter eggs, hard-boiled

It seems that natural egg-dyeing is all the rage this year, and I totally jumped on the bandwagon. I read several blogs, articles, and tutorials and then decided to go for it. We used cranberries for red, blueberries for blue, and a combo of chamomile tea/curry powder/chili powder for yellow. I'm really pleased with how the blue and yellow turned out, but I think I'll try beets next year instead of cranberries. I have to admit it was really fun using actual food, spices, and tea, and seeing what colors they yielded.




I loved Soulemama's idea of dyeing muslin along with the eggs for a Maypole. I ended up using ours as part of the centerpiece, placing the eggs on top of the muslin. I'm really pleased with all the colors I was able to get, especially the darkest purple. Here they are drying:

And here is the centerpiece on our Easter table:

2 comments:

  1. my mom uses red onion ( you can use yellow onion too) skins to dye eggs every year. If you leave them in there long enough they turn such a strong color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, we'll try that next time!

    ReplyDelete