Saturday, April 9, 2011

the backyard

Dan and Greg completely renovated our backyard over the past few weeks. It looks amazing! In the foreground is our chiminea, which we have made several fires in and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.
On the left is the sandbox and at the back is my planter box garden. Yeah for urban gardening!
Henry and I have really been enjoying gardening together. We went to Frager's to get everything and planted strawberries, carrots, and lettuce. The other box will get green beans, tomatoes (when the plants come in), and cucumbers. Henry also insists that we buy some rosebushes for me, which we will put in the front yard.
Here we are on Thursday enjoying a "picnic" lunch on the grass.

Henry loves mama's homemade granola with fresh berries.

After we finished eating, I brought out the sidewalk chalk, crayons, markers, etc. and a couple of books for inspiration and encouraged everyone to make some art (while drawing a picture myself), another suggestion from The Creative Family. In this photo Henry is looking through a book about Alexander Calder that he got from the Stories in Art program we attended at the National Gallery of Art. He decided he needed some wire - fortunately I had some, and he proceeded to make "a mobile like Alexander Calder." Thanks for all the hard work on the backyard, guys; we love it!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great usable space for y'all to enjoy! I've had that Creative Family book for a while but it has been sitting on the shelf unread. It sounds like you're really enjoying it. You've inspired me to move it to the top of my stack and finally start reading it!

    ReplyDelete