Tuesday, April 19, 2011

found: at the library today

A father and his child plant vegetables, watch them grow, harvest them, and make them into soup!

A beautiful story about the journey of a quilt through several generations.


A little girl and her father plant a window box garden together in the city - at the end, you discover it's a birthday present for the mother!

I love all of these books so much already, it's going to be really hard to return them! They may find their way onto the Amazon wishlist...

What are some of your favorite library finds? Do you know of other children's books about handcrafts or gardening?

5 comments:

  1. OMG, I read The Quilt Story at LEAST a thousand times when I was little, I LOVE that book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have specific children's books to recommend, but here two that I found inspiring, she has a great blog too- simple and sweet. The Creative Family and Handmade Home both by Amanda Blake Soule. You can read about them on her blog http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/ Actually I just saw that you have read The Creative Family on your Favorites list! You'd like the other one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth - Amanda Blake Soule is my hero. I read her blog every day, and I was just using her book tonight to make some pants for Felix out of one of Dan's old shirts! Handmade Home is in the Amazon cart, "saved for later," because I have so many projects already that I want to do I figure I'll wait till I'm a little further along with the books/patterns I already have! Have you tried any of the ideas in her books yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some pants for Will out of an old sweatshirt loosely following her instructions. They're some of his favorite pants :) I'm also going to use her celebration banner as inspiration this weekend and make one for Leila's birthday this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I definitely plan to make that birthday banner in time for Jude's birthday (I've got some time, it's not till August!) I want to make birthday crowns for everyone too.

    ReplyDelete