Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Felix's baptism

The Baptism of Felix Ambrose McClain
Pentecost Sunday
June 12, 2011
{after the service with Felix's godparents}

As you know, Felix was baptized on Sunday. At the "afterparty" celebration at our house, I put out the old typewriter and wrote at the top, "Please leave a message to help Felix remember the day of his baptism." Once everyone had left, I typed my recollections of the day, which I will share here...

{Aron composing a limerick for Felix}

My dear, sweet Felix,

I greeted you this morning singing "happy baptism day to you." I dressed you in green seersucker and the bluebird bib I made you.


You never cried and barely even fussed during church...

and when the baptism was over, you fell asleep in my arms. I sat with you in the sanctuary after everyone else had left, savoring those sweet moments together. It's so rare that I'm able to just sit and hold you without doing anything else.

Everyone congratulated us during coffee hour and we enjoyed your baptism cake (Henry and Jude most of all).
You took a long nap at home while everyone arrived to celebrate the happy occasion. Everyone had a great time eating, drinking, talking, and cuddling with you.




Pauline and Aron gave you a little music table and you love it.



I showed you the blanket I'm almost finished knitting and you seemed to like it.

You had prunes and bananas for dinner, took your bath, and after a lot of kisses and hugs, you fell asleep nursing in my arms. It was such a perfect day.

The rest of the letter is for Felix's eyes only - mostly just mushy stuff about how glad I am to be his mother. I meant it, though - it was a perfect day. Thank you so much to all of you who were able to join us, and others who couldn't be there in person but were with us in spirit.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the little Christian! Your joy in motherhood, Katie, is truly amazing. I love watching your life, even if it's through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie, your words mean so much!

    ReplyDelete