Wednesday, June 1, 2011

butterflies & weekend gardening


My mom's Easter present to the boys was a "live butterfly garden." It's great: this little cup of caterpillars arrives in the mail. You watch them eat and eat until finally they get into their cocoons. After a few days, they emerge as butterflies! We enjoyed watching them in their little "habitat" for a few days, and then Sunday we released them into our garden. They appeared to be very happy in our strawberry patch before finally flying away.

*************************

My, how our garden has grown! All of the seeds and plants I bought are doing beautifully. We now have strawberries, carrots, various lettuces, and a blackberry bush in one planter box, and rosemary, green beans, arugula, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, and pumpkins (!) in the other.

Over the weekend, we...

weeded

harvested strawberries
pulled up a carrot to see if they were ready (they're not!)


caged the tomatoes
and built a trellis for the green beans.

If you live in the neighborhood, please stop by anytime for some lettuce! We have more than we could possibly eat ourselves!

I'm happy with our two little planter boxes for this year, but now that I see how well everything is doing, I want to plant a lot more next year! I'll have to work on acquiring some more land...

1 comment:

  1. kate, I was weeding my little backyard flower and herb garden this morning and thought of yours. I thought, "I wonder what's growing in kate and dan's garden and how the heat is affecting it?"-- a handful of plants are getting burned up and going to seed way too early due to the high temps we have been having. But your garden looks beautiful! can't wait to see it Sunday

    ReplyDelete