Wednesday, June 22, 2011

a quiet house.

Parenting Henry has become quite a challenge lately - he's throwing everything my way: whining, defiance, and tantrums the likes of which I've never seen before. I often find myself at the point of frustration and do things I'd rather not, like raise my voice. One of the most challenging things has been that he has recently stopped taking an afternoon nap. That "break" in the afternoon has been so important to me as a mother - a sacred time to relax, refresh, and prepare to move through the rest of my day with love and patience.

I've really been struggling without that time the past few weeks. It has been a huge battle to get Henry to have some sort of "quiet time." Getting him settled somewhere with some books and toys has taken over an hour of whining and crying some afternoons, which some days resulted in him waking one or both babies from their naps. You can imagine how thrilled I was about that. After several failed solutions, I had a chat with Henry yesterday and gave him a couple of choices. This is what we landed on: a "tent" in the playroom, some cushions on the floor, and (gulp) computer time.

I mean, he's watching episodes of Martha Speaks on pbs.org, so how bad can it be? And I have gotten the time I need to be the mother they need me to be the rest of the day.



It's only been two days, so we'll see how long this lasts, but I am so thankful for this time yesterday and today to take a few deep breaths and appreciate all that I have.

Anyone else have good quiet time solutions they want to share? Please post here!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I have been there before and am often there these days too. Rylan went through a stage a year ago where he refused to nap. After a couple weeks of perseverance he resumed but these days it takes a marathon to get him tired enough to sleep. I'm guessing Henry shares a room with the boy(s)? For a while we just battled it out and he had to stay in his room, in his bed, etc. Now, he just has to stay in his room and not destroy anything. Be encouraged, though! A little computer time is no harm when you consider the good it does for you and him as you get some down time away from the intense parenting. I'm amazed at all you're able to do with those 3 little ones! God has blessed you with a lot of energy, love, and creativity in parenting. Thanks for all your posts, love reading them.

    Cara Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara Leigh, thanks so much for your words of encouragement! Unfortunately he does share a room with Jude so making him stay in his room only wakes Jude up early from his nap which is much worse for everyone involved. I can't put him in our room either because it's connected to Felix's room and he's a light sleeper too. I've had a hard time giving up "my space" (i.e. the main floor of the house), as having it to myself was what I always worked for all morning! but I am adjusting to this new rhythm in my family's life, albeit grudgingly at first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Levi enjoys "wildcrats" which is on PBS too. Its about animals and I'm amazed at what that boy remembers! He was telling me about habitats the other day and carnivores. I've decided that since its educational....it doesn't count as "tv" time=)Kristie

    ReplyDelete