Tuesday, August 23, 2011

#1 on my Almost-Autumn to-do list

Last night, after a (rare) long day at work/away from the boys, I made my daily visit to SouleMama. I was inspired by her suggestion to make a summer FUN to-do list. But first, a caveat: given where I live, summer is my least favorite time of year because it's so hot and humid for 6-8 weeks on end that you really can't go outside - not with babies and toddlers, anyway. No matter what you do, they get dehydrated and overheated within 20 minutes.

But about two weeks ago, I felt IT. The Moment when the Wind Changed from summer to fall. It was another hot hot summer day, probably in the mid to upper 90's, but that's when it happened. Ever since then I've been noticing the subtle shift in the weather - it's getting less humid and a little cooler as the days go by. The past two days have been absolutely gorgeous - blue skies, fluffy clouds, slight breeze, windows open, and more time spent on the front porch than inside the house. I've begun my fall knitting.

We have now officially entered Kate's Most Favorite Time of the Year.

So, I guess I should call my list the "Now I can do all the things I've been wanting to do all summer but haven't been able to because it's been so f-ing hot" list.

#1: Pick fresh fruit at a local farm.

{setting off toward the apple orchard at Larriland Farm this morning to pick my favorite variety, Gala!}

{heading over to the peaches with 2 full bags of apples}

{blackberries!}

{we decided Breakfast for Dinner was in order so I made peach compote}

{which paired perfectly with the blackberries over the pancakes!}

{Felix's first experience with blackberries}

{he made this sour face every time, but kept eating them! It was hilerious.}

After dinner, the chinese checkers set arrived in the mail!

{Henry's first game of Chinese Checkers. He loves it, of course. Have I mentioned that the only thing he wants to do these days besides draw in his sketchbook is play games?}

It was such a perfect day. I almost forgot that there was an earthquake this afternoon! Ha!

#2: Day trip to the beach! (not tomorrow, but someday soon!)

6 comments:

  1. I loved this post! It has been in the upper 70s/low 80s here (in the middle of Ohio where I suddenly find myself) and I have the same feeling as you...fall is making its first inroads and I welcome it!

    Plus, for the first time in my adult life I now have central air, which is wonderful wonderful WONDERFUL on those terribly hot days.

    Love you so much! Katie Yee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, I still can't believe how much you do with those three little boys! Botanical gardens, picking fruit, trips to the beach - you're amazing! Katie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate is quite the chinese checkers strategist. She beat me tonight, after a crushing victory by me last night. I have a feeling that we're in for a very long winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I meant to put this in my post, but I totally got the idea of visiting a farm to pick fruit from you when we talked the night before! Thanks for the compliment, but we have yet to go to the beach..not sure if that one's going to happen this season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually saw your comment on Soulemama today, clicked through to your website and realized that I've seen you out and about with your boys! You were memorable because I've been impressed with how lovely you are with your boys. Thanks for the farm suggestion- I may try to get up to Howard county for some peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, thanks so much for the compliment! We are headed back to Larriland today for blackberries and raspberries. If you see us around the neighborhood again, please say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete