Monday, August 22, 2011

The Children's Garden

We spent a glorious morning last week at the Botanic Garden. This is easily my new favorite destination, as it engages all three boys simultaneously! They walked in, surveyed the scene, and chose what to do with themselves without needing any direction from me. I would have been able to sit down and drink some coffee or do a little knitting if I hadn't been so busy snapping photos (still with my iphone, as I haven't gotten around to getting a new "real" camera yet).

Felix, of course, enjoyed crawling around and splashing his hands in the water that Henry and Jude spilled. He managed to sample several plants throughout our visit before I caught him and fished the leaves out of his mouth. I assumed they wouldn't put any poisonous plants in the children's garden and I appear to be correct, as it is now Monday, and he is still alive and well.


Jude's favorite activity was sweeping with the broom (he loves sweeping and vacuuming at home, so much that he has his own little broom and a vacuum that actually sucks up dirt), but he also enjoyed the little house as well as watering the plants.


Henry spent most of his time watering the Lantana tree in the middle (did I mention before that Lantana is my new favorite flower?), but also enjoyed working the water pump that spits water out of the fish's mouth.



We were fortunate to have the children's garden to ourselves for about half an hour, but it soon got crowded so we moved on. Here they are inspecting a little fountain in one of the other rooms:
We ended our visit by walking around outside, and found ourselves at the First Ladies' Water Garden, where of course they got soaking wet. My policy on fountains in DC is go on in until someone stops you. Why not?



3 comments:

  1. The pictures of felix crawling around in the water, with the look of feverish delight on his face, and then with his head between the flower pots, he almost looks as if he's been a partying a little too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you totally ruined those pictures for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and these pictures are beyond special, you and yours are such a sweet dear family. I wish we lived closer, I would love to see you and Dan and would love to know your children. Maybe you guys could come out sometime.

    ReplyDelete