Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Felix turns 4!


Today was Felix's birthday. For months, he's been telling everyone "On my birthday, I'm going to change numbers." I love the fourth birthday because it's the first one they get really excited about and really look forward to. They do a bit at 3, but I think they "get it" a lot more at 4. Anyway, he had a great day. Emotions were running high, as they always seem to do on a birthday, but we had a lovely celebration and I think he really enjoyed it. He opened his presents after proudly wearing his birthday crown during breakfast (he loves the oatmeal I've been making most mornings). Then we made the gingerbread play dough for his party. 

Which reminds me: I love seeing my children's' interests and talents develop over time. Felix LOVES to cook. Anytime I'm in the kitchen, he's right by my side, asking to help. The other day, he peeled a sweet potato and asked me to boil it. He then mashed it and ate it for his morning snack. 
Earlier this week, he made a fruit salad for dinner. Like a real fruit salad, with grapes, apples, and banana slices that he made all by himself. He hulls berries and helps me make jam. He slices vegetables for dinner. He cracks eggs when I'm baking. It's pretty awesome. I love having his help in the kitchen. 

So. Back to the birthday. He helped me frost the cake, we had some lunch, then his friends arrived. He had 3 friends over and I think it was just right. He seemed maybe a little overwhelmed so more kids probably would have been too much. He opened his presents right away and loved them. The kids played with the gingerbread play dough as well as Christmas tree play dough his friends made. We had cake and played "pin the star on the tree." The kids played upstairs in their room in between activities and near the end, we broke out the balloons which of course they all enjoyed. Felix was so sad to see his friends go, he cried and told me to make them come back. The look on his face when he realized his party was over...he looked crushed. I remember feeling that way as a kid. It's such a let down when you realize your birthday is over for a whole year. Anyway, after talking through his feelings with him for a few minutes, I could tell he was exhausted (and I also needed a break to nurse Ezra) so I turned on Chuggington and he promptly fell asleep. He woke up when Dan and Henry got home, we had dinner, lot the candles on his cake and sang to him again, and then the walkie talkies Jude got him arrived! They had fun playing with those for a little while and then went to bed. He asked me to read to him in his new play tent and insisted on sleeping in there too (poor Jude was quite jealous of this). When Dan asked him what his favorite thing about today was he said "my party, my presents and my friends." 

1 comment:

  1. I love the cake! Good job! Hope it was a Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete