Wednesday, May 23, 2012

sheep & wool, year 2

So, the pictures aren't great but I wanted to share about our second annual trip to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival anyway. I often find that when I attend special events like this, I'm too busy experiencing it to have much time to photograph it.


We learned our lesson from last year and headed straight for the merchandise tent where they sell t-shirts, tote bags, posters, etc. from the event. We weren't fast enough, though - all the kids' size t-shirts were gone, so we got the Jude and Henry these sweatshirts instead. It was slightly chilly that day, so they got to sport them right away.

 I've wanted a "natural" kitchen broom for a while now and had seen the man who makes these last year, and decided to get one. Of course Jude, who loves to clean, needed one too. He quickly went to work sweeping "all the yucky stuff on the ground."
 He held his broom the whole way home.

I didn't buy any yarn this year, but I did get this book:


as well as wool roving in a variety of colors. I've been wanting to learn how to do needle felting for a while now. As usual with all of my new art projects, Henry was immediately on board and made a "fire" out of the wool as soon as we got in the car.


He wanted to see all the colors I chose, so I laid them out on the table when we got home. He proceeded to go around the table and make a ball using all the colors.

The only disappointment was that Henry didn't get to spin any wool like last year. I guess a child broke one of the spinning wheels last year, so it seems everyone decided not to let children try them out this year. I still have the yarn he spun for me last year, though. I looped it around my bedside lamp, so it is one of the first and last things I look at every day, and I treasure it dearly, especially because he made it for me on Mother's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment