Monday, December 10, 2012

My Baby is Two!


















We had a wonderful celebration today.

On the table in the morning:
--Three pictures - one of me still pregnant with Felix and two of him as a newborn to help him understand the meaning of the day
--Birthday ring - something I've wanted for a while and decided to use some $ I received for my birthday to purchase recently.  I chose to use one symbol that is meaningful for each year of his life so far - a caterpillar for year one, and an owl for year two
--Birthday crown. He refused to wear it in the morning and I was concerned I would have to bribe him with birthday cake to get him to wear it, but he chose to put it on when we sat down to his birthday dinner and left it on all night!

The morning was uneventful - we all have a cold (me worst of all, thankfully), so I postponed our plans to go to the Children's Museum and we went to the grocery store instead. I made pizza for dinner, though I'm not sure whether he ate any of it.  He loved my "decorate your own cupcake" idea and during the whole time we sang "Happy Birthday" kept saying "off, off" (as in, take the candle off the cupcake so I can shake the sprinkles on!).

His gifts (from us and my parents):
--Handmade owl using vintage thrifted fabric
--A train with an engine
--The little kitchen from Etsy (I sold our red one on Craigslist so it was an "even trade" financially)
--Pretend food for the kitchen
--Airplane with peg people
--Mini rainbow stacker
--the book Owl Babies

By the way, this is the first birthday that we did not have any balloons. Balloons have always annoyed me - I find them overstimulating, the ribbons always get tangled, the boys fight over them, they're not reusable and are damaging to the environment....so I looked online for alternatives. I saw these hand kites on Etsy, and decided it would be easy enough (and more economical!) to make them myself. They loved them!

Possibly the sweetest part of the day - Felix said "Thank you" for the first time this morning, and said it again and again throughout the day, and after receiving each gift. Perfect timing to learn those words, I'd say!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like he had a very special day. I put pictures out of the girls, too. They really seemed to like it. Well, Cathy Lynn didn't get it so much when she turned one of course, but Emily enjoyed it. :)

    I can't believe he's two! That means my baby isn't too far behind. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet!
    i love that wooden kitchen! I was just drooling over Haba wooden food toys and waldorf inspired playthings today.

    ReplyDelete